Brazil has a lot to offer so this is a specially prepared itinerary to make an unforgettable family trip! With a mix of activities that will please all ages, discover the wonders of Rio de Janeiro, the Marvelous City, discover more about our wildlife with all safety at Pantanal and enjoy the crystal clear waters in Bonito. If you have a bit more time, an extension to Paraty will add a touch of history and a view of the Atlantic Rainforest, followed by Ilha Grande with it’s beautiful beaches for a relaxing end.
- On your arrival, reception and private transfer from the airport to the hotel in Rio de Janeiro (approx 17km – 30 min) Overnight.
- Included: Bilingual Guide (English, German or French), Room & Breakfast
On day 2, you will have a private driver guide at your disposal for 6 hours to see the main sights in Rio de Janeiro: Corcovado & Sugar Loaf. Everything begins on board a centenarian eco-friendly electric train. It cuts through the well-preserved Atlantic Forest, which is part of Tijuca’s National Park. At the foot of Cristo Redentor, one of the Seven New Wonders of the Modern World, the most beautiful view overlooking Rio de Janeiro opens out in front of you.
The ride to the Sugar Loaf cable Car unfolds a 360º scenery of breathtaking views, including Leme, Copacabana and Flamengo beaches; the Pedra da Gávea, Maciço da Tijuca and Corcovado mountains, the latter showcasing the statue of Christ the Redeemer; Guanabara Bay; the downtown area; the Santos Dumont Airport; Governador Island; the neighboring city of Niterói; the Rio-Niterói bridge; and the Serra do Mar mountain backdrop, with the famous Dedo de Deus (“God’s Finger”) peak. The cable car ride is included in the tour.
- Included: Bilingual Guide (English, German or French), Excursion, Room & Breakfast
On day 3 we’ll have a day full of activities starting with the Tijuca Forest Family Hike (Private). A hiking trail takes the group to the top of Pedra Bonita (696m/2283ft), one of the most stunning summits of Rio de Janeiro with great views of the city, the coastline and the rainforest around. In a 50 minute hike going uphill you’ll reach the top and see from an unique angle, Pedra da Gávea, the famous majestic flat rock that is one of the biggest monoliths in the world that ends directly in the ocean at 842m/2762ft high. From this summit, in clear days, we can also see the West coast of Rio, the Barra area with its lagoons and mangroves, also Ipanema and Leblon beaches and Dois Irmãos Peaks Hill.
The trail goes through Tijuca Rainforest National Park, one of the largest urban forests in the world with more than 40 km2 and located in the heart of Rio. On the way up, it may be possible to see some wildlife like toucans, coatis and monkeys. During the tour, discover the history of Rio and Tijuca Forest and all about the coffee farms that used to exist there, the reforestation held in the XIX century and a lot about the flora and the tropical rainforest ecosystem. The tour also includes a visit to another sector of the Tijuca Park, stopping by the Chinese View summit, an amazing belvedere in Rio with views to the Southern side and one of the very few spots in the city where you can get Christ the Redeemer, Sugar Loaf, the beach and the lagoon in the same frame.
- Duration: 4 to 5h
- Hike Trail: 3.5 Km
- Elevation gain: 203m
- Difficulty: easy
- Features: Requires reasonable fitness. Short but steep trail up and downhill on rough terrain
- What to take: ready-to-eat lunch (fruits, sandwich, etc), water (1.5 litres/person), suncream, insect repellent and a small backpack.
- What to wear: athletic clothes and shoes (no sandals!), hat.
- Maximum capacity on regular tours: 10 participants (larger groups can be arranged however). Age: 6 + (parents must certify the child enjoys hiking). In case of bad weather, the hike/trail may be adapted for safety reasons.
- From Monday To Friday (except holidays/weekends and days in between) Private driver guide on disposal for 4 hours in Rio de Janeiro.
We’ll continue to the Cook in Rio Tour (Private). Learn to cook Brazilian recipes, then eat! Learn a mix of Brazil´s favourite recipes in one fun cooking class. Discover exotic ingredients, techniques and flavours you can use in your dinner parties. English spoken and located in Copacabana. Food and drinks included.
- Duration: 4 hours
- Attention: transfers not included – you must go to the meeting point by yourself. Closed on Sundays.
- Included on day 3: Excursions, English bilingual guide, Ticket, Transport, Room & Breakfast
- Private transfer from the hotel to the airport in Rio de Janeiro (approx 17km – 30 min). Private transfer from Campo Grande to lodge in Pantanal.
- Accompanying guide for activities in English. During your stay at Pousada Aguapé on days 4, 5 & 6 you will have the chance to enjoy two activities a day, to be scheduled by the lodge according to weather conditions.
The activities include:
- Horseback riding: 12 people max. (minimum age: 6 years old)
- Trails in the nature: 12 people max. (lasting 1h 30 to 4h, depending on the trail)
- Photography Safari: 3 vehicles, with 6,12 or 20 seats (duration: 2h 30 – 3h)
- Boat ride in the Aquiduana river: 2 boats, with 6 or 9 seats (duration: 2h-2h 30. Swimming and fishing forbidden.)
- Piranha fishing: 12 people max.
- Night spotlighting by boat or jeep: depending on Safari’s vehicles and boats’ capacities.
- Cattle ranching observation: 6 people max. (exclusive for people with horse riding experience.)
- Wagon rides : 2 wagons, with 3 or 5 seats (duration: 1h 30 – 3h, depending on the trail.)
- Kayak: 6 people max. (duration: 40 min to 1h 30, depending on water level. Note: swimming forbidden. Consider that your clothes will get wet.)
If your flight arrives after 6 p.m. in Campo Grande, it is still possible to go straight to the Pousada if you would like. A snack will be prepared upon your arrival (not a regular dinner, since the kitchen will be already closed for the day) and you will be able to start exploring Pantanal very early in the following morning. (This option is only available during the dry season, from April to November.)
- Overnight accommodation options:
- Exclusive: Barranco Alto
- Comfort: Refugio da Ilha
- Included: Bilingual Guide (English, German or French), Transport, Excursion, Room & Full Board
On day 7, private transfer from Pantanal to Bonito and free afternoon.
- Included: English bilingual guide, Transport, Room & Breakfast
On day 8 we’ll have a guide and transport disposal for day tours. First we’ll visit Gruta do Lago Azul. The interpretive trail is about 300 meters to the cavity where the 200 metre descent to the lake is made up of staircases made of limestone rocks. In the first 20 meters drop there’s no support at all, and the rest of the route is structured with handrails. There are four rest stops, while you can admire the view of the cave and hear explanations of the various geological formations that occur there – stalactites, stalagmites, travertines and several other limestone formations. The depth of the lake is estimated at 87 meters, sheltering rare albino shrimp and also bones of extinct animals that lived in the region for over 12,000 years, like the giant sloth. The tourists will have no physical contact with the lake. The return is by the same route.
Restrictions: It’s not permitted for children under 4 years. Children up to 5 years must present a document to prove their age. This trip is not recommended for those with heart disease, labyrinthitis, high blood pressure or mobility issues. The grotto is also not recommended for claustrophobic people due it;s small size and low ceiling. Duration of tour: 1 hour and 20 minutes.
We’ll continue to Gruta de São Miguel, A dry cave with varying geological formations for contemplation and learning about the geology of the area and local history. When arriving on the tour, visitors are equipped with a helmet and flashlight and are invited to watch a video presentation of the Gruta de São Miguel. The tour guide then accompanies the group on the 180 mete suspension bridge which offers the opportunity to walk through the treetops of the Cerrado. A small trail is traversed to reach a lookout of the cave, where you will experience some amazing views. The group will then be shown maps of the cave before entering the cavity. Along the way, the group will see the Speleological stalactite formations, such as stalagmites, columns, travertines and coralóides. It is possible to observe a species of owl called Suindaras (Tyto alba) which inhabit the cave.
At the end of the tour, the group will return by a trail through the forest. It is possible to observe wild animals such as scarlet macaws, agoutis, coatis and others. Restrictions: It’s not permitted for children under 4 years. Children up to 5 years must present a document to prove their age. This trip is not recommended for those with heart disease, labyrinthitis, high blood pressure or mobility issues. The grotto is also not recommended for claustrophobic people due it’s small size and low ceiling. Duration of tour: 1 hour 10 minutes.
- Included: English bilingual guide, Transport, Excursion, Room & Breakfast.
On day 9, guide and transport disposal for day tours. We’ll visit the Baia Bonita Ecological Reserve. Upon arrival at the reception, visitors are introduced to the tour guide, who gives instructions on the tour, accompanies the group to receive the equipment and assists in the adaptation performed in the pool. To get to the source of the Bonita Bay, you cross a 400-meter trail in the forest, where you can observe typical cerrado trees, birds and other wild animals. There is a moment to view the source of the Baía Bonita River and soon afterwards the group enters the river and floats along an 800 metre stretch, spotting fish such as piraputangas, dourados, mato-grosos, corimbas, among others. The vegetation is also diverse and abundant. The float ends at the meeting of the Baía Bonita River and the Rio Formoso, where the group can enjoy a zipline and bath in the waterfalls. The tour offers a boat of support throughout the route.
- Recommended for: adults & children (from 5 years old)
- Distance: 7 km from the centre of Bonito
- Travel time: 30 minutes
- Duration of the tour: Half Day
- What to bring: bathing suit, towel, aquatic camera, money for drinks or snacks – it is forbidden to use repellent and sunscreen inside the river, for reasons of environmental preservation
- Included: mask, snorkel, neoprene clothing, papete, lifejacket, support boat and accredited guide
- Optional: lunch, digital photo service
- Attention: This tour does not operate during Sundays.
We’ll continue to a Boat trip adventure in the Rio Formoso by inflatable boat. You have the opportunity to observe the vegetation and the wildlife of the region while being guided by the current. The highlight of the tour is the passage of 3 waterfalls and 2 small rapids – pure adrenaline! At the end of the tour you can enjoy a pleasant bath in Rio Formoso. Children Info: This excursion is only allowed for children over 5 years old and proof of age will be required. For families who have a child under 5 years old, an adult must stay in the reception room and only pay for access to the island. The use of cameras during the tour is prohibited, but a photography service is offered on site. Pregnant women can NOT participate in this tour as well as older people with leg prosthesis and heart problems. It is forbidden to enter the restaurant with drinks or food.
- Included: English bilingual guide, Transport, Excursion, Room & Breakfast
On day 10, there will be a private transfer from Bonito to Campo Grande.
- Private transfer from São Paulo to Paraty (approx 268 km – 04 hrs). Included: Transport, Room & Breakfast
On day 11, Tour Kayak HD (Regular Tour). Paddle the warm, sheltered waters of the bay of Paraty on this guided kayak trip to various islands and beaches. Swim, snorkel, and experience wildlife in the mangroves while you escape the busy boat-tripping crowds! No previous experience necessary. We give paddling and safety instruction for sea kayaks.
We’ll continue to a Walking tour in Paraty Half Day (Private Tour). Find out more about Paraty, a UNESCO nominated World Heritage site, on this fascinating walking tour of the old town. Your expert local guide will take you back in time to the Portuguese discovery of Brazil and trace the development of Paraty through the sugar, gold and coffee economic booms. Beautiful colonial architecture, street design ahead of its time, exiled Portuguese royalty and the dark past of the slave trade – these are just some of the ingredients that make up Paraty’s rich and colourful history from the past to the present day.
- Level of difficulty: easy
- Duration: 2 to 3 hours
- Included: Excursion, English bilingual guide, Room & Breakfast
- Level of Difficulty: all levels catered for – easy/ medium/challenging
On day 12 there will be a private transfer from Paraty to Ilha Grande via Angra dos Reis (private vehicle then regular flexboat). Which is 97 km by private vehicle (1h 35) and 40 min by flexboat. Last departure from Paraty 15h30. Received by bilingual guide at your arrival in Ilha Grande, accompanied by guide to the pousada, with luggage carrier.
- Included: Transport, Room & Breakfast
On day 13, there is a Lopes Mendes boat transfer (Regular). By boat we leave from Vila Abrãao pier to Mangues Beach from where we will hike appoximately 20 to 30 minutes towards Lopes Mendes beach. For the adventurer at heart, upon arriving at the entrance to Lopes Mendes Beach there is an optional 20 minutes hiking trail which takes you to another beautiful secluded beach, Santo Antonio Beach. Upon arriving in Lopes Mendes Beach (truly one of the most beautiful beaches, known for its fine white sand and crystal clear waters which captivate all visitors) you will enjoy a beach that pleases everyone from the casual swimmer to the experiences surfers. The beach extends 2.4 km in length and at its end has a creek which spills into the ocean and has a small chapel as well as a mosaic on the beach made by Silvio Cavalheiro on a steel buoy. Remember to take some water because there is no selling points in Lopes Mendes Beach. Only at Pouso Beach is there a kiosk where you can drink a refreshing drink and have a snack.
- Included: Excursion, Room & Breakfast
Day 14 is free to enjoy the island. Beaches and culture makes Ilha Grande a great place to find yourself walking around the island with no pre-scheduled itinerary. Just go and find new places, meet the locals and try the local gastronomy full delicious sea food.
- Included: Room & Breakfast
Today you leave Brazil ready for your onwards arrangements
- Private transfer from Ilha Grande to Rio de Janeiro via Angra dos Reis (regular flexboat and private vehicle).
- 40 min in a flexboat and then 2h 45 in a private vehicle (185km)
- Included: Transport