The Dominican Republic, home to the perfect tropical getaway for any traveller seeking an adventure. Sharing an island with Haiti to the west, the Dominican Republic will astound visitors with its scenic and cultural diversity from the tallest mountain in the Caribbean to impressive coastal paradises. Tour the Las Terrenas region of the island on hired bikes as you ride through the jungles and mountains exploring exotic locations used by locals, meeting the magnificent plants that grow across the region or catching a few waves in your down time.
- Arrival and transfer from your airport of choice (Santo Domingo / Puerto Plata / Punta Cana)
- Check in at your accommodation: Hotel Playa Colibri
Welcome to the first day of your cycling adventure around the beautiful coastal scenery of Las Terrenas. Arrive at your choice of three airports and be met by a Spanish speaking driver who will transfer you to your hotel for the duration of your time in the Dominican Republic: Hotel Playa Colibri. Settle in and orientate yourself with your new surroundings as you prepare to tour mountains jungles and white sandy beaches.
During your first evening you can dine in the romantic on-site restaurant directly by the beach or travel into Las Terrenas to explore, find a dining experience that suites your taste from local cuisine to international flavours and dance the night away.
- Cycle towards the waterfall of El Limon and swim in the beautiful waters
- Cycle along the beach paths and jungle routes towards a lookout point with breath-taking views
- Journey length: 35 km, 250 vertical meters
- Return to your hotel
Day two of your cycling adventure takes you across the beach and jungle trails running alongside coconut plantations. During your journey, you will pass through rural villages, getting a taste of traditional Dominican life before arriving at the waterfall of El Limon. Here you will have the opportunity to swim alongside the locals as you use the natural swimming pools to cool off before the next stage of your adventure.
After the waterfall you continue and head up a short hill to a lookout point where you will be rewarded with stunning views across the Caribbean landscape. Throughout your journey across the beach and jungle paths you will be provided with refreshments to ensure you can maximise your experience.
Once you have returned to your hotel the rest of the day is yours to decide how you wish to experience Las Terrenas. This stretch of Dominican coastline offers visitors endless beach adventures from snorkelling, boat excursions, non-commercial/natural landscapes, diving, swimming and surfing to name a few. For travellers wishing to experience the best beaches in the Dominican Republic recommendations have been given below (any activities at additional cost).
- Las Ballenas – The beach by your accommodation, it is perfect for paddling, snorkelling and romantic drinks on the white sands.
- Playa Coson – This Palm Tree lined beach is perfect for lovers of windsurfing, kitesurfing and parasailing due to the choppier waters. For beginners to the sport there are schools and instructors nearby that offer lessons at additional cost.
- Playa Morón – One of the most secluded and historic beaches around Las Terrenas the golden sands of Playa Morón are some of the most beautiful. For travellers who make it to this beach remains of 18th century canons used by Napoleon during the French occupation of the region to crush African slave rebellions in Haiti can be seen.
- Playa Punta Popy – A livelier and social beach, Playa Punta Popy is another beach perfect for water sport enthusiasts and boasts international cuisine and bars directly across the road.
- More difficult and uphill cycling across the coffee route
- Downhill exploration of the jungle
- Journey length: 45 km, 600 vertical meters
- Return to hotel
Day three of your cycling tour around Las Terrenas will take you across more difficult tracks as you follow the famous coffee route, or ruta del café. Your cycle will take you across the hills past cacao trees, coffee plantations, bamboo and mango trees. You will be able to breath in the invigorating scents of coffee along the way and you will have the opportunity to taste natural honey, coffee, cacao and mama juana (a spiced alcohol mix of rum, red wine, honey, tree bark and herbs).
You end your tour with an easier downhill route through the jungle before spending the afternoon at the beach and the evenings enjoying the vibrant night life. Spend your time relaxing on your favourite tropical white sandy beach taking advantage of the perfect sea conditions for surfing, swimming, kitesurfing and snorkelling.
- Cross country tour of the surrounding jungle
- A day to test your endurance on mountain bikes
- Journey length: 30 km, 800 vertical meters
- Return to hotel
Today is a test of your mountain biking skills as you head on a cross-country adventure through the Dominican jungle. The route takes you on a mix of uphill and downhill tracks passing through rubber tree fields and lakes where you will be able to spot cows and horses relaxing by the water. Cycle under huge mango trees as you soak in the peaceful atmosphere of the jungle and feel invigorated achieving a difficult cycle under the beautiful Caribbean sun.
- Today’s tour takes you across the mountains and towards the village of El Naranjito
- The second half of the tour takes you on a thrilling downhill adventure
- Journey length: 40 km, 800 vertical meters
- Return to hotel
- Self-led activities for the remainder of the day
Your final cycle will take you back into the mountains towards the village of El Naranjito and spectacular views across the countryside sprawling below you. The steep inclines along this route are a challenge for experience cyclists however, the sense of accomplishment you feel at the top of the mountain makes this the perfect final journey. You will end your trip with a fast, fun downhill route back to your hotel where you will have the afternoon to enjoy the last of your time in the Dominican Republic.
Sit back and relax in your hotel or on your favourite beach under the beautiful blue sky and reflect on your time in Las Terrenas, the people you have met and the wonderful memories you will take back with you.
- After breakfast you will be transferred to your airport of choice (Santo Domingo, Puerto Plata or Punta Cana)
After breakfast you are bid farewell as you are transferred to your chosen airport for your further travel arrangements.