Please note this trip is on hold so take a look at what we are doing in Goa as an alternative.
To book an activity with us we require you to participate for a minimum of two weeks. Therefore, you would need to book a quantity of two for this activity, unless you choose a separate activity to go with it. See the ‘Related trips…’ section for more options.
Community Work in Udaipur
The great city of Udaipur, in Rajasthan will be your home for the duration of your community volunteer project. The city is oozing Indian culture; from the traditional, bustling markets to the friendly locals it’s easy to see the draw to this marvelous area of India. It is perhaps Udaipur’s unmistakable city landscape that sets this fascinating city apart from the others, universally nicknamed ‘The City of Lakes’, and more commonly known as the “Venice of the East”, Udaipur is awash with culture and is truly stunning. Drawing in a staggering several million tourists per year, Udaipur has loads to offer in terms of art, architecture, culture and cuisine, although the booming tourism industry has created harsh contrasts between the rich and poor in this fascinating city.
By taking part in this community placement, you will have the amazing opportunity to provide children in the local community with the education, compassion and attention that they so desperately need for their future development.
Your Community Volunteer Placements
Many children and community groups in India are severely under supported and are in great need of external support from volunteers and volunteer organisations. It is easy to travel and see this for yourself, however a true traveller will engage with the community and help to develop the opportunities for the people they meet, whether that is through teaching, care work and mentoring, or sports a recreational activities.
Educational support will be given to kindergarten and young children of Udaipur in the age group of about 4 to 5 years old who are right at the start of their school careers.
You will be teaching at a local school in the morning and in the afternoons wherein Hindi is mainly taught to children who come from mostly lower middle income families. These schools try to provide the best possible education to the children of tuk-tuk (autorickshaw) drivers, house and office maids, unskilled labourers and also encompassing the children of every-day Rajasthani Indian with average facilities. The teachers of the school are capable of translating Basic English. We need your support to teach young children English.
They will all be excited to see you and exceptionally welcoming, due partly to the natural and genuine friendliness of all Rajasthanis, especially children, but also the fact that you will be one of the few westerners they have met!
The teaching program is informal, same as kindergartens worldwide, and the children will want to play with you more than be ‘taught’ in a formal sense. Your help and assistance will help the kids grow in their confidence and learn better English which will help them in many ways in the future.
The kindergarten school functions from 08:00 to 12:00
● The project will be more interesting if you are creative
● You should adapt to the school administration, teachers & children while you are with them. You are part of a school that is culturally different from other developing systems.
● You should be organised and the daily program will be planned with the aid of the teaching handbooks & coordinator inputs.
● You should be an active person and should be willing to research their lesson planning. Lesson Planning Guides will be available.
● You should be able to interact, communicate with children and teachers of the school, work as a Team and be cooperative with the local coordinator or other participants. Able to adjust to facilities available at the local school.
● Your appearance should be presentable at the project. You should be able to gauge the capacity of different students.
● Should you find any difficulty kindly consult our Coordinators
Community Outreach School
Our Community Outreach program is located in Udaipur. Around the community, most of the children attend school and some of them due to various difficulties some children stay back at the school itself at the boarding facility available at the school. These schools concentrate mainly on vernacular language thus the children are not well equipped with standard English due to this reason the students need training in written and spoken English language as well as awareness on hygienic habits, environmental awareness, behavioural skills, and much more.
At the community outreach centre, there are about 30 children attending the program. The children are all girls between the age of 10 to 16 years. These children live at the hostel facility available at the school as they come from very far off villages. Most of their families live in far-off under-developed villages having odd jobs for their living and earn very little to support their families and to provide education for their little ones.
Assist in teaching young, energetic and enthusiastic girls of the local community by helping with their everyday homework. These classes are held in the evenings after regular school hours and apart from conventional teaching methods, games and other activities may be used to teach the children.
The project starts from 16:00 to 18:00.
The purpose of this after-school outreach project:
● To provide English teaching so as to develop English knowledge.
● To provide an idea to the children to find white coloured jobs in their future.
● To impart hygienic and environmental awareness to the children so as to keep their surroundings clean.
● To impart behavioural skills to respect one and another and also learn behaviour between genders.
● To identify and develop their talents
● To learn and exchange various other cultures and languages
● To take the kids out to various parks, museums, art theatres, libraries to recognise various available resources to learn and enhance their knowledge
What you should have:
● Be empathetic with Community Kids.
● The project will be more interesting if you are creative.
● You must be organise a daily program with our coordinator with a clear plan before going for the project.
● You should be able to work as a teamwork and cooperation with local coordinators or participants.
● Basic English knowledge
● Good at basic mathematics, geography, science and computer knowledge.
CRB/DBS (Criminal Records Bureau) Check
It is required that participants complete a CRB/DBS (Criminal Records Bureau) check in order to take part in this project. We can provide this service for you at an additional cost because some people may already have one that is valid (please get in touch for more details).
Gap Year and Career Break Volunteering in Udaipur
Take part in a community volunteer placement in Udaipur as part of your gap year or career break and give back to the local communities, whilst you discover one of the most captivating parts of the world, broaden your horizons and make amazing life long memories in India, the continent of colours.